Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Scrappy Trip 2018

One of my goals for 2018 is to use a lot of my scraps!
Lets be honest...I doubt I finish this in 2018!
I have been saving 2 1/2" strips for years.
My friend, Andrea Aldredge hosted a Sew Along on Instagram
for Scrappy Trip Around the World.
It got me started...but I knew I would not finish
the blocks in time to win any prizes.
My personal prize...get the blocks started!


I decided this green, small print fabric by Jenni Calo 
would be my accent fabric in each block. 
I like a little structure to my chaos. 
Sewing it in the first position of all the strip sets will 
give the eyes a place to rest...once all the blocks are done.



My 2 1/2" scrappy strip pieces were cut at 16" 
I got two from each of my "hoarded" strips.  
I also cut 2 1/2" squares and set those aside.
(those will be another project)


Scrappy Strip Sets have 6 strips.  
Except for the first "green strip"
 I randomly pulled strips from my stash to make each set.  
The hardest part of this design (for me) is
letting the scraps be scraps.



I pressed and cut my strip sets for final sewing.
See the green strip is the first strip in each set.



Once cut and sewn into the final 
trip around the world block...
The green fabric goes down the center
of the block at an angle.




I need to work on getting these all sewn and make the top.
For now they remain a very happy WIP!
They may or may not be finished in 2018
but at least the trip has begun!




7 comments:

  1. Very nice . Love your fabric scraps you are using in the quilt top

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great start! A scrappy trip is on my list of quilts to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for using up scraps. I like your constant. It is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to use scraps and someday I'll cut my scraps into strips, too. I love how this quilt is looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Scrappy anything so this quilt of yours will be awesome!

    I have started blogging again.......I miss keeping a record of my projects and when a few girls mentioned they might start blogging again I pulled mine up too.......

    I'm enjoying following you on IG.

    Peggy in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and I look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.