Thursday, July 22, 2021

BAKING BOAS


Have you seen the trendy BAKING BOAS?
I received this one for Christmas last year
from my partner in crimes of fabric, yarn, travel and wine. 
Kathy Guenther! 
She also knows I am a Christmas Baking fool.

I just love it!  
She found this one at Lehman’s in Oho Amish Country.


Many specialty / botique type stores carry these in many themes. 
Calahans in Calabash, NC had these Nautical BOAs
The store BOAs are made of the thinner, flatter cotton towels and 
it looks like they have 2 towels per BOA.
Retail costs between $20-$25 


I knew I could make these as gifts!
After Christmas last year 
I bought lots of Christmas kitchen towel sets on the CHEAP! 
So each set of 2 towels, made 2 BOAs!
I only used one towel per BOA.
My supplies were less than $5 per BOA!


I made a mock up…sew easy! 
My towels were the thicker fluffy towels.
TIP! Buy towels with images on the ends in opposite direction)

I used one kitchen towel cut in half at the center.
These two pieces become the ends of the BOA.
Cut BOA neck piece, 9” x WOF. 
Press 1/2 “ on each end WST, on the RS secure the hem by sewing on ric rack.
Fold neck piece RST sew 1/4” seam to create a tube, turn right side out, press.
Fold the towel ends into a couple pleats to fit inside the tube.
Sew across the top of the pleats 1/4” before tucking into tube.
Tuck into tube about 1/2,  sew across ric rack to secure in place.
This part will be thick..use a jeans needle and adjust the pressure foot, 
if your machine has that option. 
You can add a top stitch around the BOA neck piece, if you like. 
That’s it. 

Turned out sew cute. 
And if you don’t  like aprons…it’s perfect for kitchen tasks!
Towels at your finger tips as needed!


I had lots of Christmas fabrics but needed a bit more.
Sale fabric at a local big box store is fine.


I also bought all the ric rack in sale for $1 each
I added ric rack to the bottom of the towel an extra pop. 
See finished BOAs


I made 14 BAKING BOAs.  One has been gifted already.
The rest will be gifts during the holiday season. 
They will go with some kind of baked goods. 


I love Christmas in July sewing!
How about you!  
 

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, these are great! I’ll be making some of these for Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.