Sunday, May 13, 2018

MOTHERS DAY BAG!


Image result for happy mothers day pics

My Mom has been gone 11 years and I miss her
everyday...My son lives 12 hours away and
I miss him everyday. 

But today I want to share a sweet Mother's Day story

Gemma, my 7 year old great-niece
 was recently spending a day with me.

Aunt Kathy, "Can we sew?"
Sure, but so you understand the sewing machine
is not a toy and we will make a project.

"OK"

She picked some fabrics to make her 
Mommie a Mothers Day Gift


Lessons are in order when she sews with me.
I want to teach her to "love" sewing.
I showed her...
How to determine the right side and wrong side of fabrics.
How to place fabrics RST 
How to  pin the two pieces for sewing the seams
(flip them over and make sure the pin catches both fabrics
and the edges are totally lined up)


Now at the sewing machine, more lessons.
How to line up the seams against the pressure foot toe guide.
To watch the pressure foot guide....NOT the needle
to keep the fabrics against it and have a nice
1/4" seam while gently guiding the fabric.


Important lesson:
Keep those fingers away from the needle area.
And she used the back stitch button.



We had 6 fabrics and 5 seams to make the drawstring pouch
with exterior and lining.
I cut the fabrics...she sewed the seams...
pulling out the pins and NOT sewing over them.
I pressed the seams.

She concentrated, while Aunt Kathy 
gave lots of encouragement and hugs!
"proud of you" may have been overused!


She watched as I cut the corners to "box the corners"
and she sewed the corner sections together.
She turned it inside out and thought using the
"chop stick" to poke out corners was quite fun!



She was tired by now so I suggested, "IF she didn't mind,
I would make the casing and the drawstrings
and she could just watch!

She top stitched the top and saw how the 
"open arm" works on the machine.
I put in the drawstrings, she said that they were
too hard to scoot thru.

And THIS is the final bag!


And when it was all said an done...
she was a happy little girl!
She did get restless but she finished it because...
UFOs are not a good lesson!  😉


I was a very proud "Aunt Kathy"



I hope Gemma will continue to want to "sew"
I have "sew" much to teach her!
I told her not many 7 year old kids can say
they sewed their Mama's Mothers Day gift!

I hope your Mothers Day is perfect in every way!




4 comments:

  1. Shes really growing up....SOunds like a wonderful day of sewing you all had. Happy Mothers Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! You did a great job showing her all the proper steps. Happy Mother's Day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lessons and a Mother's day gift to remember

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.