Saturday, July 25, 2020

MODERN CHRISTMAS TREE BLOCKS

I have FINALLY finished a Christmas quilt top
 using the Modern Tree Blocks by Amy Smart.
 I made most of the blocks, 2 years ago.

I used Amy's free Tutorial over on her blog, 
Diary of a Quilter and 
you can see it here.
The tutorial offers directions for two sizes
of the blocks.  I made the bigger size.

Its sew easy and I love the wonky look of the
trees, cut them all the same, or different.
Stack two fabrics and slice, following her instructions.
I love wonky and different!



Then I put the blocks on the design wall about 5 times.
I just couldn't decide how I wanted them to look.
Did I want my layout to mimic the original design?
Did I want to stagger the vertiacal rows?
 Did I want to add shashing?



To help me decide the final layout I like to take a 
black and white photo to see the color value balance.


This time I decided the blocks were NOT coming down
until they were sewed into a top.

And finally a top was made.
I went with the original design.
I was worried that I had to many colors?
I found out...I did not.
I love the almost scrappy look
of all my Christmas prints.


I made the top 7 rows across and 8 rows down.
A great lapsize quilt.
No borders for me!


That being said...
My first Christmas in July top/project is complete.
Of course, it needs quilted.
Perhaps that will happen before Christmas.
Are you sewing any Christmas in July projects?

After all, its only 5 month til Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.