Saturday, August 29, 2015

LET'S GET SCRAPPY

I provided a demo for the Columbus Modern Quilters 
And went a bit scrappy!
First up was my Kwilty Chaos technique 
to make impromptu blocks


My deer in the headlights look

This technique is sew easy and fast
and lets the mind go free! 
My Kwilty Chaos Block tutorial is here 

You can make any size block or piece 
I made a kids kwilt with purple scraps in no time!



One of the C-busMQ members, Katy, 
was sew inspired, she made a block immediately!
This kinda support  really makes one feel like
preparing for a demo is sew worth it!


Impromptu Kwilty Chaos Block by Katy Jones
Next demo was how to use scraps on fusible grid interfacing.
You can purchase this fusible grid in several grid sizes 
(at Joannes) in either straight grid or on point grid 
Cut your grid to the size you want.



Here is my finished sample
This could be a mug rug, add a border for a mini quilt, 


Fabric for a zippy pouch...well you get the idea.


  
Elizabeth, from Oh Fransson Blog has a great
tutorial on using this product over at 
Sew Mama Sew, click here

Another scrappy idea for bigger scraps.
Sew left over quilt blocks together. 
No need to finish right away 
May need it later for a fabric basket or table runner
Great fabric for a Halloween Swap project!


I have a bunch of larger hexie templates, so I toss 5" squares
 with the templates for an on the go scrap project.
(use smaller scraps and templates, also)


My friend gave me triangle leftovers she didn't want
I made 50 Cotton and Steel HST and they 
live in a plastic bag...til I decide what to make!



I am scrap ready for whatever comes up!


Tip 1: Keep a new kitchen trash can by your cutting table  
and toss scraps into it when cutting out projects
When its full then sort by color or cut into various
sizes...whatever or however you like to mange your scraps. 


Tip 2: I keep a plastic bags  that curtains come in
attached to a lanyard and hanging on a peg board
above my cutting table.  
One catches "strings" One catches "selvages" 



and oh yeah...if you have way more scraps
than you can handle...
donate to a charity that makes quilts and 
pay it forward!


Here is a really fun challenge that happens every year. 
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge over

RSC 15


 I hope you use your scraps...after all
the cost of QSQ fabric is on the rise
and an inch saved is more than a penny earned!



4 comments:

  1. love scraps and how randomly you can work with them some good tips here thanks for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great ideas for using up the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Lots of tips for using scraps, so thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas. I am constantly cutting on my scraps into more usable sizes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.