Sunday, March 1, 2020

WHAT’S OLD IS NEW AGAIN

I attended the SW Florida Quilt Guild Show recently.
Although when I would meet local quilters
and mention "modern" quilts...eyebrows would raise.
I hoped to see some modern style quilts at the show!

I was surprised to find a modern category in this juried show.
Here are some of the quilts that caught my eye!

 BEST OF SHOW
‘Mexican Pottery’
Linda Englebrecht

Not modern but very colorful and the excellent workmanship. 



‘Cascading Sparkles’
Shattered, by Mill House Quilts patterns
Joyce Grande, Maker

This was a beauty..with lots of HST making it feel modern!



’Double Crossed’
Karla Alexander’s pattern
Lyn Bruner, Maker
This was my Viewers Choice Vote! 
♥️♥️♥️
This was not in the Modern category.
It sure looks modern to me?
It was in the Large Pieced category.
Look at this quilting ! 



‘Tangled’
Red Pepper Quilts pattern
Joyce Grande, Maker
All solid fabrics in this one but
the quilting gives it texture.



‘Debbie Goes Modern’
Angela Walters pattern (Name n/a)
Debbie Webster, Maker

Nice design and great quilting.
Fabrics were a bit softer tone than my taste but
I thought the taupe background was a great choice


‘Metro Scope’
Sew Kinda Wonderful pattern
Ellen Whittier, Maker

Curves are always interesting and 
the pattern is modern and uses a the Quick Curve ruler.
Label indicated this was pieced and quilted
by a (category) ’New Quilter’ 



‘Silk Rainbow’
Debby Mandy pattern 
Linda Englebrecht, Maker

This was a fabulous modern design with silk fabrics.
Beautiful quilting as well.


‘A Formal Affair’
Pattern maker not listed
Pat Halston, Maker

I need this in a Scarlet and Gray 
for a "Block O" quilt!




‘Simplicity’
Japanese Knots pattern
Marilyn Blackstone, Maker

This would have screamed modern
If she had not added the blue print for outside border?
That is just distracting...to me.


‘Green and Black Twisted Triangles’
Nancy Mahoney pattern
Jean Kurholz, Maker

Lots of HST and quite a bit of batik fabric.
I am not a fan of batiks (been there, done that)
but this mix of modern and traditional works.



‘Cathedral Stars’
Bonnie Hunter pattern
Joan Lang, Maker

Traditional design but I admire maker piecing
all these blocks. 
She has an eye for color placement. 



‘QAYG Reversible’
Drunkards Path blocks
Lyn Bruner, Maker
This is the first "quilt as you go" quilt
I have seen with a slightly modern feel.



‘Les Amis’
Shelly Cavanna pattern
Pat Goldberg, Maker

The colors drew me to this Traditional design 
Black is unexpected and makes the quilt pop! 



A quilt show in Florida requires a fun sea creature quilt.
There were several, but this was my favorite.
I loved this whimsical feel of this one.
Prairie Points, ric rac, buttons and yo-yos
are very traditional techniques...from days gone by. 

‘Under Current’
Ocean Frolic pattern
Monica Cordeau, Maker 



A close up look at the yo-yo bodies!  
Sew dimensional ♥️



Where was the last quilt show you attended?
I have another one that will be posted soon.
Sew many quilt shows, sew little time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.