Saturday, March 15, 2014

30 / 30 CHALLENGE UPDATE - GET OFF MY BACK

I'm selfishly sewing for ME
and this week I have made a couple "backs"  
to go with my finished tops as part of the


I'll be heading to visit my BFF Shirley in April
and kwilt these babies on her Gammil longarm!

I did finish this top by adding white all around and 
will bind with with dark gray.
Thanks Kathy Guenther for your input!


For the backing I used a vintage sheet with a
 strip of white on white fabric down the center 
giving it a modern look and feel. 


This Black, White and Yellow Bernatex fabrics top will soon be seen as part of  the Bernatex Olympics entries.  
I love dragonflys and flowers and the Turning 20 pattern 
is perfect to show off this fabric line by 
Bernatex, Maria Kalenowski, Lemon Tree Line


Keeping this kwilt in mind for future picnics
I pulled out some grays for the back from my stash


I am a stash busting fool!
NO fabrics were purchased to finish these two kwilts!

Sew tell me, do you enjoy making backs for your kwilts.
I find it kinda boring and by the time I get to the back
I just wanna be DONE!

Linking up over at Berry Barn Designs 
with the other  selfish sewers!!!

If you want to see what I'm making for
the Handmade Christmas Challenge over at SewCalGal
just click here for the March linky party.
There's lots of inspiration going on at that party too!

Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday
over at My Quilt Infatuation!  




11 comments:

  1. No fabrics purchases....grin. Great job! I see fabric purchases in your future......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Love stash busting... some really amazing quilts can come out of it and yours are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great question, Kathy. Sometimes I've had fun with backs but sometimes, yes, I'm ready to be done. My next finishes will have "boring" backs, but then I have a few more planned that are just begging for something more interesting. Have you had luck quilting with old sheets? I've heard so many nays on using them, but have a friend begging for a quilt form her grandmother's old sheets and I'd love some input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty quilts and I also see fabric purchases in the future !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pick Up Sticks really pops with the white around the edges! Love it. The yellow and gray is sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Depends on what I am making a back for. Sometimes I just cheat and buy wide backing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often try to use up the fabric from the quilt on the back, so they are often a bit of a piecing puzzle which can be an interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to bust out that stash fabric! Beautiful quilts both. I do like to make the backs of my quilts,probably because I also like to piece them too :) Great job on all the progress this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No money down, like that, I too do not like to make the big backings anymore, so I quilt mine, back and front, of block at same time, and then add sashing, back and front, so I am done. I have arthritis in hands so larger quilts are too hard to do now, so I like the smaller ones, or just block by block.....Love the yellow grey/black quilt and the vintage use of sheet material is what I do alot of...Good Job....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel exactly the same about backs, but I am making an effort to put a little more effort into them. I even took a free Craftsy course - it had some good ideas. I do love your retro sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE Lemon Tree!! Have searched the world over and found none :( Came to the game too late for that one but I digress - LOVE what you have done with them!

    I have actually started to kind of like piecing backs, I try to make them interesting, more to keep my interest when piecing them than others after they are finished! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.