Tuesday, October 9, 2018

MODERN TREE BLOCKS and MOM

Amy Smart (Diary of a Quilter)
 Modern Christmas Tree Blocks
have been tugging at my heart strings...
(for many reasons)

I had been collecting fabrics for a while,
that I thought would work for my version of the quilt.


I sorted and cut the basic pieces, per Amy's tutorial (link below)



Check out how stinkin cute these blocks are!







Finally, enough blocks to get started on the design wall.



THIS is NOT the final design...just playin around.
I have an idea for a staggered layout !

Here is a link to the tutorial by Diary of a Quilter
and a look at her finished quilt.
The blocks can be made in two sizes.
3 1/2" x 4 1/4" 
or 7" x 9" (my blocks)

This is Amy's amazing 
Modern Christmas Tree Blocks quilt!

Mine is NOT finished in 2018 but it will be maybe 2020

patchwork-christmas-tree-quilt

Today my Mom would have been 104 years old.
She's been gone 12 years, but it seems like yesterday.
Cora loved to hand piece, making only utilitarian scrap quilts.
Christmas was her favorite time of the year and she
always held her Christmas dinner the Sunday before
Christmas...giving Dec 25th to her children
 to spend that day as they wanted.

This quilt will be
"Cora's Christmas Trees"

In loving memory
Cora Hess Clayton
1914 - 2006




4 comments:

  1. Your trees are very sweet and I love that you are naming it in honor of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Your quilt is so lovely. I think that design is so simple yet effective for a scrappy look that comes together nicely. From what you've described, your mom would love it. It's great that you made it in her honor. She was so ahead of her time in making the holiday a week early so everyone could beat the traffic, relax, chill and enjoy the actual day without tumult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trees, and what a lovely memory of your mama. She was a very considerate person in doing that for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your trees! I’ve had this quilt in my to make list for a couple years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.