Wednesday, April 3, 2019

BABY O BABIES!

My step daughter has several friends having babies!
She asked me if I make baby  quilts for
3 little girls due early 2019!
I agreed to help her out as long as she would pick fabrics
from my stash.  I have lots of novelty baby prints to use.


First up was a February baby and the sea creatures
would work...but could I make the blue green fabrics
look more girlie by adding some PINK!

Nailed it!

I cut apart a large piece of the novelty
to make the fish and whales into their own blocks.
Added a frame and then some 5" squares
Pink border and a scrappy binding finished it off.
FMQ with a meander.


For the back I just pulled pinks and whites from my stash
Batting was a larger piece I had left over in my stash as well.


Sweet baby girl came before I got the quilt finished
so I was able to add her name and the birthdate on the quilt.
I like to use the text function on my Bernina
and the label is placed on the front of the quilt.


Second little girl is due in April.
Mom wanted pink white and yellow and
the piggie fabric was to be the focus. 
I only had a FQ of the piggies but 
I put out ISO call on Instagram
and another quilter sent me 2 yards.
I traded some Tula Pink so WIN-WIN!


Because I had 2 yards of the pig fabric...
plenty for the backing and I added left over
pieces from the front blocks to make it modern.
Batting is 2 large scrap pieces sewn together.
A pink with white polka dot binding
finished it off.  FMQ was a meander.


Last but certainly not least is the baby girl due in May.
Mama wanted pink and gray with Elephants -
TRUNKS UP for good luck.
I did have to buy a yard 
of the elephant print at Hobby Lobby

Everything else was in my stash.
Another FMQ meander for the quilting.



Sew happy with the modern looking back.
Using up stash and a bit of the elephant print.
And scrap batting sewn together.
A gray on gray print is the binding.





When I bind a baby quilts by  machine,
I sew the binding to the back, and fold it over to the front.
THEN I use an enlongated serpentine stitch to sew it
down on the front.  This makes a very nice finish and 
I know the binding is on for the long haul.
This is a front corner of the quilt,


For me a baby quilt isn't finished until its washed and dried
and all crinkly and squishy.




1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.