Friday, October 11, 2024

WHY CHARITY QUILTS HAPPEN!

There are many reasons WHY Charity quilts happen.

I'm gonna tell you how they happens in MY sewing room.

I begin a project and then loose interest or just don't like how it's coming together.
For instance, I can’t even remember when I began working on this Plaidish 2 quilt!
I thought using up my OSU Buckeyes scraps would be the thing to do.
Add a bit of red, black and gray…TOUCHDOWN!


And I tried I really did!
Draggin it back and forth to several quilt retreats.
 

Then the lightbulb went off!
I just wasn’t feeling it. WTH?


Sew…I donated it to Project Linus 
with instructions on how to finish
the blocks and the top!
Sometimes it's a touchdown, sometimes a bad call.

My point here is...
IF you aren’t feeling the creative juices flow
 when working on any WIP...let it GO...to charity!

The Crushed Pistachio pattern caught my eye
at a LQS and ohhhh....
I loved the LV background and
I knew I have scraps to use!


I made the blocks, but the unfinished size was just a bit off.
I know now it needed a scant 1/4" seam allowance.
Sometimes patterns dont' indicated this and WOW they should.
Guess I should have done a test block.


I kept saying...I can make this work!


I sewed it all together, but it just wasn't working for me.
Maybe the sizing, maybe the colors...
I have several quilts already in this color palate...
therefor the scraps.


Whatever the reason, I was NOT going to send it out to a longarm quilter!
SEW OFF IT WENT to CHARITY!

I will revisit this pattern at another time as I do love it.


Sometimes MY charity quilts happen
because I am a very lucky pattern tester for
Frannie B Quilt Company!

Recently I selected 2 out of 5 patterns to test for Corrine.


I like this pattern and could see behind the symbols 
for a great pattern to use up scraps and FQs
for Stitching Sisters Chairty efforts.
The quilts go to cancer patients going thru chemo treatments
sew the Peace and Love appliques weren't
gonna make the cut!

Corinne Wells, pattern designer, always lets me make these
tops to the specifications I need for my charity efforts.
I love her for that, among other 

HOW COOL IS THAT!
Look how beautiful this turned out!


The second pattern test was for Holding Hearts!
I knew immediately I didn't want to set these hearts on point 
OR use the small hearts.


I was correct...here it is on my design wall
and I'm building it out, with sashing,
to a rectangular size I need for Stitching Sisters Quilts.


Both turned out great!
And I provided my feedback 
as I tested thru the pattern block units.


I usually get Stitching Sisters fabrics from their Sewing Center.
They get sew many donations it seems like the right thing to do.
AND after I am finished with the top, back and binding
I return it to them for a volunteer longarmer to quilt.

WIN-WIN-WIN!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.