Friday, December 4, 2020

CLAN GORDON TREE

Welcome to my Great Room and
The Clan Gordon Christmas Tree. 
I have many trees each year,
My Scottish Theme Tree and Mantle
transports Clan Gordon to Scotland each year.
Even Santa has a bagpipe!


It all begins with the tree.
Much to my chagrin...this is what happened
when I plugged in my pre-lit tree. Once lights begin to go...
I don't trust them any more.  
I love this tree as it has many kinds of branches
so, I opted to do a crazy thing.


I took wire clips and cut off  ALL the lights. 
I have done this before if I love the tree.
A timely and hand scratching effort, but I don't mind.
I added 5 brand new strands of 100 lights!


Every tree needs fattened up a little.
I use pretty flocked branches on this one.
I want a forest of Scotland feel.


Make sure they stick out from the shape of the original tree.
And I fluff the original branches as I go.


Many people put the star on the top of the tree last!
Nope...I work from the top down.

First I place two 'real' deer antlers, securing tightly as
they are very heavy.
Phil and I bought these on our honeymoon in Breckenridge, CO
Dec 4, 1999 (21 years ago today)

Then I place the star between them.


Tree topper ribbon is next.
I like texture, so there's a red shiny and a plaid flannel ribbon.
Both are wired which makes it easy to shape.


Then I add the ribbon strands throughout the tree.
This year I draped and tucked it down the tree.
I make sure each ribbon tuck is secured by a tree branch twist,
keep them fluffy...not to tight against the tree
and allow both ribbons to show, alternating them.


Next is a huge bin of ornaments.
I should count these, but I am pretty sure there
are close to 200 ornaments.

I may not use them all and some will go on the mantle.
See those big glitter balls on the right.
They go on first...inside the tree to fill in holes
The glitter picks up the tree lights.


Here are a few close ups of the ornaments.
I have lots of shapes, sizes and textures.
Lots of owls and stags !


And there's my only Scottish Santa on the tree.
I need more bagpiping Santas!
He is close to the top of the tree and 
you can see some glittery pine cones pics I added.


More fun ornaments and a bit of white for some pop!


The mantle has many layers.
There are two types of garland...all that look very real.
White lights and ribbons from the tree.
I added some ornaments and 2 stars.
The Stag canvas is beautiful and I added a flannel ribbon
to make it pop.
I have a Bag Piper Santa and he gets his special place here.


A different view.


And so the corner went from this.


to THIS!


This picture of Phil and me,  is a couple years old.
You can see the tree was decorated just a bit different.
Antlers higher up, ribbon goes around the tree horizontally.

Merry Christmas...from Clan Gordon








3 comments:

  1. How GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing this with us, Kathy. I feel like I got a little piece of Christmas party. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.